Thinking of Selling? Get DE-Personal
If you’re thinking of selling in this super competitive market, one thing that’s critical to helping potential buyers “picture” themselves in your home is to remember this: It’s not about you. It’s about creating a neutral zone that allows others to envision the possibilities for their own families.
The National Association of REALTORS® tells us that more than 90% of buyers start their search online and list property photos as a top reason to call on — or skip — a listing. Follow these six important steps before taking those all-important photos and opening your doors to potential buyers.
- Keep a little distance. Packing away some of the most personal items in your home décor might take a little emotional distancing. It’s not easy, but it will pay off.
- Safe-keep your treasures. When selling your home, a lot of strangers (and hopefully the perfect buyer) will be roaming through your house. Now’s a great time to box up your treasured personal items, heirlooms and valuables and consider keeping them in a secure storage unit until you’re ready to move.
- Create a neutral palette. While your child might be all about the orange-mango wall color, it may be too bold for buyers. Studies show that lighter colors help buyers visualize their belongings in your house.
- Don’t forget the ‘toys’. Children’s playthings, sports equipment and exercise items can all create big clutter issues and personalize space as well. While we’re not suggesting you take all of your kid’s toys away, you might want to consider packing some up and super-organizing what you leave in place.
- Make space. Think bathrooms and kitchens. Countertops, drawers and closets. Walls and shelves. If you have more “stuff” than clear space, it’s time to pare down.
Stay neutral. Let’s face it: We live in a sensitive world. If you have items or art that can be construed as socially or politically incorrect or inappropriate, now’s the time to pack it up. You’ll have a wide variety of personalities through your home during the showing process; neutrality is your friend!
If you’re thinking about selling your home now or in the near future, call or text me today to get a free copy of my Home Staging Checklist. It could help you sell your home for thousands more!