Decorating For the Holidays While Selling?
If you are currently selling or thinking of selling during the Holidays, try these decorating tips to keep buyers in the right spirit:
- Clean and stage.Before you decorate, your house needs to be staged.
- Create a cozy atmosphere.The less-is-more notion of home staging may tempt you to skip holiday cheer this year. But a few subtle touches like a bowl of pinecones, an evergreen wreath, or a cider scented candle can create a warm and festive feeling in your home.
- Complement your current decor.Before you start untangling your lights, make sure your holiday collection matches your current decor. If your living room is painted a neutral gray, skip the clashing gold garland. Instead, opt for a white tree with powder blue glass-ornaments. If you’ve got an earthy theme, accent with rich tones like cranberries, forest greens and gold.
- Accentuate the positive. Too many decorations may distract buyers, but the right accessories can draw attention to your home’s best features. Use garland and ornaments to play up your mantle or hang mistletoe in an arched doorway; just don’t obstruct a beautiful view with stick-on decals or otherwise clutter an elegant fireplace with bulky stockings.
- Lights, lights, lights. Forgo the inflatable snowman, Clark Griswold. Remember…. One man’s “merry” is another man’s “tacky,” so tone down any ostentatious light displays while your home is on the market. Instead, use simple string lighting to accentuate your home’s architecture or draw attention to the gorgeous oaks trees in your front yard.
- Mind the tree. A tall Christmas tree can help you show off your two-story great room, but make sure the wide base doesn’t swallow up the floor space. If your living area is on the small side, save space with a skinny tree. Trim your tree in a consistent theme such as icicle lights with blue and silver glass balls for example.
- Clear the clutter. A few decorations can rouse the holiday spirit, but don’t overdo it. Limit yourself to a few hints of holiday flair, but stash the rest for next year. If you start to miss your Christmas Village, just remember that with me as your agent, you’ll be celebrating next year’s holidays in a new home. And you can decorate your new place any way you please!
If you’re thinking about selling your home now or in the near future, call or text me today to get a free copy of my Home Staging Checklist. It could help you sell your home for thousands more!